The biography of artist, environmental activist, documentary film producer and philanthropist Susan Swartz.
cuadernosdefilosofia.comSusan Swartz explores the landscape through potent colors and richly layered abstract paintings. With her evocation of coastal splendor and mountain drama, Swartz follows in the tradition of the great German painters, 19th century Romantic sage Caspar David Friedrich, and 20th century icon Gerhard Richter. She is inspired by the intersection of art, nature and spirituality.
Swartz's distinctive style has been recognized with solo exhibitions at the Museum in Beijing, China in 2018; the in Davis, California in 2018; the in St. Petersburg, Russia in 2017; the in Budapest, Hungary in 2016; the in Koblenz, Germany in 2015; the Kollegienkirche cuadernosdefilosofia.comin Salzburg, Austria; the in Washington, D.C in 2011; the in Springville, Utah in 2010; and the in Salt Lake City, Utah in 2008. Her works are in the permanent collections of the ; the ; the ; the in Lausanne, Switzerland; and in Beijing, China. Her work is also on display inside the United States Embassies in New Zealand, Hungary, and Beijing via the program.
In 2005, Swartz was published in the Gibbs Smith collectors book alongside Wasatch Mountain School artists Maynard Dixon, Albert Bierstadt and Thomas Moran. The same year she was honored by the for a career that continues to blend artistry and faith. Swartz was the Official Olympic Environmental Artist for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games.
cuadernosdefilosofia.comThe underlying energy and tension to Swartz's work hints of her complex relationship with the natural world. Her decade long struggle with mercury poisoning and Lyme disease transformed her as an artist and as a citizen. She now works from a place of impassioned reverence for the earth, and of fierce determination to inform and educate. Partnering with Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., Louie Psihoyos and Dr. Jane Goodall on a number of their environmental campaigns, Swartz also supports the vision and production of documentary films that seek to shed light on social and environmental injustice. Films touched by her include Academy Award-winners and nominees, as well as Sundance Film Festival award winners.
Swartz serves on the National Advisory Board of the National Museum of Women in the Arts, the Dean's Council of the Harvard Divinity School and is the co-founder of charity-based . She is on the board of the and a founding member of the documentary film organization .
cuadernosdefilosofia.comSwartz paints from studios in Park City, Utah and Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts.
- Central Academy of Fine Arts (CAFA)
- George Eccles 2002 Olympic Winter Games Museum
Park City, Utah
- International Olympic Museum
- National Museum of Women in the Arts
- Springville Museum of Art
- US National Ski Hall of Fame & Museum
- Utah Museum of Fine Arts
Salt Lake City,Utah
- Kimball Arts Center
Park City, Utah
In private and corporate collections worldwide, including Zions Bank and Zion National Park.
Solo Museum & Academic Exhibitions
- Central Academy of Fine Arts (CAFA) Beijing, China 2018
- Manetti Shrem Museum at UC Davis Davis, California 2018
- Ludwig Museum at Russian State MuseumSt. Petersburg, Russia 2017
- Ludwig Museum of Contemporary Art Budapest, Hungary 2016
- Ludwig Museum Koblenz, Germany 2015
- Kollengienkirche Salzburg, Austria 2014
- National Museum of Women in the Arts Washington, DC 2011
- Springville Museum of Art Springville, Utah 2010
- Utah Museum of Fine Arts Salt Lake City, Utah 2008
- Harvard Divinity School Boston, Massachusetts 2005
Gallery & Art Fair Exhibitions
- Melides Art Pavillion Installation & Exhibition Melides, Portugal 2019
- Contemporary Istanbul Art Fair Istanbul, Turkey 2015
- Kimball Winter Art Salon Deer Valley, Utah 2014
- American International Fine Art Fair Palm Beach, Florida 2014
- Kimball Arts Center Park City, Utah 2013
- Belgravia Gallery London 2012, 2013
- Naples International Art & Antiques Fair Naples, Florida 2012, 2011
- Art Palm Beach Palm Beach, Florida 2012, 2011
- The Carlyle New York, New York 2011
- Art Newport Newport, Rhode Island 2011
- Carol Craven Gallery Martha's Vineyard, Massachusettes 2007-2010
- The Phoenix Gallery Park City, UT 2003 - 2008
- Xanadu Gallery Scottsdale, Arizona 2009
- Elliott Yeary Gallery Aspen, Colorado 2006, 2007
- Center Street Gallery Jackson, Wyoming 2006
- E.S. Lawrence Gallery Aspen, Colorado 2005